Healthy yogurt bowls are an incredibly satisfying and healthy way to start your mornings!
When I start my morning with a good breakfast, everything in my day goes more smoothly. I’m able to focus better and don’t end up with pesky hunger pangs all throughout the day. Healthy yogurt bowls are a favorite of mine to make for breakfast. Not only are they delicious, they also have the potential to be super nutritious. When you make them right, they are incredibly tasty, filling and satisfying!
How to Make a Healthy Yogurt Bowl
There are 5 steps that I recommend to follow when making a yogurt bowl.
1. Pick your yogurt – this can be the most overwhelming step because there are SO MANY yogurts to choose from at the grocery store these days. Of course I want you to choose whatever yogurt sounds best to you, but to get the most nutrition for your buck, you’ll want to look for the following:
-Live, active cultures in the ingredient list: These are probiotics, the healthy bacteria that live in your gut and keep the health of your immune and digestive systems up to par. Not ALL yogurts contain live active cultures, so it’s important to double check that ingredient list.
-Greek yogurt, especially if you want to increase your protein intake. A serving of Greek yogurt provides close to 2x the amount of protein that you’ll find in regular yogurt. All of that extra protein helps keep your muscles strong and promotes fullness!
-Full fat is the way to go. Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessarily healthier to eat non-fat or low-fat dairy products. The specific types of fats in yogurt have actually been shown to provide some impressive health benefits. They help your body absorb certain vitamins and minerals, reduce inflammation, and help control appetite to name a few.
-Opt for plain yogurt if it’s available. Most flavored, fruit-on-the-bottom yogurts are full of added sugars. Sure, the tangy flavor of plain yogurt can be hard to get used to. The more you try it, the easier it will be to get used to and better it will taste. Plus, there are plenty of healthy strategies you can use to improve the flavor of yogurt on your own. Hopefully this post will help you generate some ideas!
2. Choose your flavor. As mentioned above, yogurt doesn’t need to be doused in sugar to taste good. Depending on your preferences, you can use any of the delicious ingredients listed below to flavor your yogurt. If you have other ideas for how to flavor yogurt, I’d love to hear about them in the comments below!
- Vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder
- Lime or lemon juice
3. Add fruit. Fruit doesn’t only add flavor to yogurt bowls, it also adds vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber! Just about any type of fruit will taste great in a yogurt bowl – the possibilities are endless here. Here is a list of fruit to add to yogurt bowls to get you started:
- Sliced bananas
4. Include an extra source of protein or healthy fat. This will help make your yogurt bowl even more delicious and satisfying, not to mention more nutritious and higher in fiber. Chia seeds, nut butter, walnuts, sliced almonds, and pecans are popular choices. You can also try ground flaxseed, cashews, or pumpkin seeds. All of these will add some texture to your yogurt bowl, whether it be extra creaminess or crunch!
5. Need a little extra sweetness? Add some maple syrup, honey, or dried fruit to your yogurt bowl.
Now you know that yogurt bowls don’t have to be tasteless and boring! There are plenty of things you can do to make them delicious and nutritious at the same time. Now I want to hear from you! What is your favorite healthy yogurt bowl addition?
PIN NOW, ENJOY LATER!