I’ve been hearing and using the phrase “SKOL Vikings” for my entire life, but up until I started writing this post, I never knew what it meant. I do now, though. Thanks internet. And I’m scarred. I wanted you all to know that because I intended to call this a SKOL smoothie, but decided not to now that I know what it means.
Anyway, I couldn’t help but put together a Minnesota Vikings-themed smoothie for you guys this month. It’s the perfect way to celebrate our team’s success this year, AND the fact that the Superbowl is going to be in Minneapolis in a few weeks. Also, the Vikings have their first playoff game tomorrow and they need all the purple & yellow luck they can get!
Regardless of if you’re a Vikings fan or not (I’m talking to you, Packer people), this smoothie is fruity and delicious. It will satisfy on a hot OR cold day (even if it’s -20, I promise), and make you happy no matter what team you are rooting for. And it will satisfy those of you who aren’t football fans but just want to drink a freakin’ smoothie.
Quick note: Since this smoothie is made of mostly fruit, it is pretty high in sugar and carbs. However, there is no added sugar, and you can add protein powder or some extra healthy fats to make it more balanced. If you want to reduce the carb/sugar content, omit the purple juice and replace it with a purple vegetable, like purple cabbage, instead. Or, you can just enjoy it for what it is while you’re cheering on the Vikings 🙂
- ¼-1/2 cup water
- ½ of a frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup Trader Joe's Purple Crush Juice (can also use grape juice or other purple juice of your choice - just make sure it's 100% juice without added sugar)
- 1 cup blackberries or blueberries
- 1 acai puree packet (I used the Trader Joe's version)
- Optional toppings: Coconut chips or flakes, granola, chia or hemp seeds
- Start by blending all of the "yellow" ingredients (water, banana, pineapple and vanilla extract) together and pour into a glass.
- Then, blend all of the "purple" ingredients (purple juice, blackberries and acai puree) together and pour on top of the yellow mixture.
- Top with whatever other ingredients you'd like for some extra crunch and deliciousness!
Make sure you don’t miss out on any smoothie recipes by subscribing for updates below!